Thursday, May 30, 2013

Scheduling and making lists

Papa and I are both big list makers. We do this not because we're super organized but because we're not. Listing out what needs to be done and following it has helped both become more organized.

Daily
Every night before I go to bed I list out what needs to happen the next day, household tasks as well as fun things. I don't order it because I've found that if I have a task I'd rather not do I put it off and that causes anything under it not to get done. Anything I don't finish gets put on the next days list and gets done the next morning. 


Weekly
In addition to my daily tasks I have a weekly layout to help keep me structured. I keep it on the refrigerator so I can glance at it in the morning. I might shuffle the laundry days depending on the weather since I like to line dry things but other than that it stays fairly consistent. This list is the minimum standard I set each week so on busy weeks I may only get these tasks accomplished and other weeks I accomplish much more. I created the weekly list in order to keep the dust bunny army at bay and keep the house at least mildly presentable should we have unexpected company 

Monthly
We also have monthly tasks set out to keep things running smoothly. They include things like cleaning the gutters, checking car fluids, giving flea/tick/worm medications to the dogs, checking the food storage for spoilage/depletion and other things of that nature. 

Quarterly 
Our quarterly tasks include changing the oil and rotating the tires on our vehicles, treating the house for bugs, evaluating what short term food storage meals we'd like to revamp, and completing seasonal house maintenance.   It's important to me that Papa list these things out as much as possible because when he isn't here I have to do them and I don't really think of things like draining the fluids from the lawn mower to overwinter it and other things that are obvious to him. Having this list means I'm more prepared for his absences and things run a bit smoother 

Why We Do It
Keeping our house in order via lists has helped us be much more responsible with the things we do have and better at achieving goals we set for things we want. When we know what's coming and what has to be done we can better plan our money and be ready when life throws us curveballs.

What kind of organizational systems do you have in place?

No comments:

Post a Comment