Sunday, May 26, 2013

Flats and Handwashing Challenge Day Seven


Today was the last day of the Flats and Handwashing Challenge and I've got to say that I'm not really dying to go back to my washing machine like I thought I would be. Washing diapers by hand hasn't been the awful chore I thought it would be, even when Baby decides to poop THREE TIMES in one day. Seriously kid, what the heck?! As I've been handwashing I've noticed that it's given Papa and bit of extra time in the evening to spend with Baby even if it is in 5 minute increments.

The intent behind the Flats and Handwashing Challenge is to show that there are viable low cost cloth diapering solution for people who struggle to buy diapers and I feel like our family can really relate to that.  Thankfully we researched cloth diapering before we had Baby so we were able to buy most of her diapers before she arrived by saving a little bit each month and shopping around for deals. I didn't really have any idea how much disposable diapers cost because I had decided from the start I'd like to cloth diaper but yesterday I went to get a girlfriend a shower present and saw diapers on her registry and was very surprised with how much they cost. We purchased her two packs of Huggies Pure and Natural for $16 and I'm told that will last for about 7-10 days, eek! I offered to buy her cloth but she was resistant to the idea so I let it be. When we told everyone we were going to cloth diaper most people laughed and bought us disposable diapers anyway thinking we would change our minds. Since I am one not easily dissuaded (Papa calls me stubborn) I returned all the disposable diaper packs to Target and used the gift-card to buy cloth diapers from their website. Yes, Target and Walmart both have cloth diapers online.

This post is a bit rambly and I apologize, it's been one of those weekends. We're preparing for Papa leaving in the next 48 hours so there is Army gear all over my living room and today has been all topsy turvy. I hope you all enjoyed our documentation of the Flats Challenge, feel free to ask questions or leave comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment