Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Flats and Handwashing Challenge Day Three


These are diapers hanging out from the first warmish spring day we had 2ish months ago. L to R you see prefolds, covers, inserts and flats.

Today is the third day of the Flats and Handwashing Challenge and I thought it'd be a good time to reflect on how handwashing makes me feel connected to the past. We have two sets of elderly neighbors that are an absolute blessing in our lives. Both women used birdseye (flat) diapers with their children and were delighted when they realized I was using cloth diapers on Baby. They told me stories of how they washed their diapers in a bucket and hung them to dry and as I do the same this week I can't help but feel connected. There is something very peaceful in doing a simple act of service for your child and knowing that millions of women before you have done the same thing. I feel the same about hanging my laundry out to dry, there is peace in knowing I will always have the knowledge and skills to provide clean, dry diapers for my child. This challenge has been less of a challenge and more of opportunity. I would now not hesitate at all to recommend flat diapers and hand washing to anyone who asked me for the cheapest way to cloth diaper. Don't get me wrong I love my Kenmore, but there's something to be said for hand washing as well.

Struggling for diapers, say it ain't so!

We have a couple that we're friends with who were struggling a bit financially after the birth of their daughter and we were able to loan them the diapers that Baby had just outgrown thereby easing their financial burden a bit each month. I could not imagine the stress that would come with not knowing if I was going to be able to diaper my child, having a newborn is a challenge enough on it's own.

Is there anything you do that makes you feel especially connected to the past? I'd love to hear about it in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. making pies and baking bread...and maybe handwashing flats. I feel like we still have modern conveniences of a water boiler and a plastic bucket that wasn't around away back when. It would be nice to have a big cast iron pot ( like a witches pot) and boil up every thing over a fire.

    ReplyDelete