Thursday, June 6, 2013

Hurricane Season

Whelp, it's everyone's favorite time of year, hurricane season! Our first named storm is set to hit this weekend and as a precaution I'm looking over our 72 hour kits. As Baby is now mobile I'm realizing that emergency candles may not be the best idea so I'm looking into getting another electric lantern to add to the kit. Previously our 72hr kits were packed away in backpacks but now I'm wondering if transferring it all to a Rubbermaid tote might not be a bit easier. The backpacks were good when we lived in an urban environment because if we needed to evacuate we could just take the bags and go but now our plans are to bug in so mobility is less of an issue. Plus if we needed to leave we could always a.) put the totes in the trunk of the car or b.) take out hiking packs which would double as a fairy effective 72hr kit.

As Papa has been gone its made me realize that prepping with one person can be very difficult. I singlehandedly will have to secure windows and doors, make sure he mutts go out before the storm, have the kits out and accessible along with emergency lighting should the power go out and all this while watching an almost one year old, whew! I don't think it'd be too bad if t weren't for the windows. We need some new ply locks for the windows in the nursery so I'm going to have to swing by the hardware store and pick up wood and locks and then attach them, that should be fun. They aren't predicting that this storm will be too terrible but I don't want to wait until there is a bad one predicted and be there with everyone else. 

Do you have certain seasons/events you prepare for? Leave us a comment and let us know!

No comments:

Post a Comment