Monday, May 20, 2013

Flats and Handwashing Challenge Day One

This year we're taking part in the Flats and Handwashing Challenge. For one week we will be only using flat diapers and handwashing them. Using flats isn't outside the norm for us, we use them all the time, but the handwashing thing is new. We have a manual Wonder Washer from when we lived in an apartment with coin operated laundry when we were first married so I plan on using that to wash our diapers. I used to wash our clothes at the end of the day and hang them and usually by the morning they were ready to be put away. 

We don't have birdseye flats, we just repurposed some receiving blankets. They work just as well for us and they're in cute prints, so it's an all around win I think. We got 10 receiving blankets at a yard sale for $1 and then we were given about a dozen as gifts, so we have a lot to use. For this challenge we're only using 10 blankets, 5 covers and some snappis and pins. The covers we're using are Flip and Econobum covers, two of our staples. You can see them here below:

Our diapers for the challenge less one flat and snappi since they're already on Baby.
We decided to do this challenge because as part of our emergency preparedness we plan on still using and laundering our cloth diapers and we want to see how viable that is without power. I don't think it will be terribly difficult, I think the worst part would be that without power we'd have to manually heat the water, but I don't even think that is too bad. Once Papa gets the fire ring built I think I might try it, he's going to think I'm crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment