Tuesday, June 18, 2013

One Kit At A Time

We're slowly working on our family preparedness one kit at a time. First, we started with water. Next we moved on to the 72 hour kit and now we're tackling the car kits. We used to have well prepared car kits but in the last two years they've been picked over and items haven't been replaced. Last week when I was visiting my folks a pair of jumper cables was needed by the neighbors and out of 5 adults with cars I was the only one with a pair, this made me realize that a.) my family and friends aren't even prepared for everyday emergencies and b.) my car kit really needs some work.

Here's what I plan on putting in my car kit:




For the Engine:
  • Water (1 gallon)
  • 2q motor oil
  • Coolant/Antifreeze
  • Jumper cables
  • Gas can
  • Flares (3)
  • Basic tool kit
  • Reflective triangles
  • Shovel
  • Kitty litter
  For the Passengers:
  • MRE
  • Tennis shoes + socks
  • 1st Aid kit
  • Emergency blanket
  • 3 Disposable diapers + wipes
  • Energy bars
  • Bug spray
  • Sunscreen
  • Hot Hands
Between what's left from both of the kits I'm pretty sure we have the contents of one kit plus the durable goods of another (tools, cables etc.) so I should only have to purchase a few items and then repackage everything. Once Baby goes down for a nap today I plan on laying everything out and seeing what is available from my car and then checking Papa's when he gets home. 

These kits are being put together in preparation for any roadside emergencies we may have. Both cars already have spare tires and jacks and I've changed about 5 tires in my day but never one on my own car thank goodness. When I see female motorists that have flats I tend to stop and help, as most women are more comfortable with a female stranger rather than a male one. I can jack up a car and change a tire in about 15 minutes, not the fastest, but I get the job done and people are always appreciative. We did choose to invest in roadside assistance for both cars through our insurance, but it's still nice to have the skills and not have to wait on someone to come render aid.

Do you have any sort of roadside kit in your car? Is it commercially available or one you put together yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment